ABS Temporary Fuel and Trip Permits

Let us Handle Your Permits to Keep Your Fleet Compliant & On the Road

You’re on a tight deadline, and every mile is an investment. We won’t let you waste time or pay unnecessary fines along the way! Knowing the facts about required permits is essential, and our mission is to help your fleet stay compliant and on the road.  Obtaining temporary fuel and temporary trip permits for our clients means faster turnaround, no hassles and accuracy from start to finish.

The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) covers 48 U.S. states and Canadian provinces. Essentially, when your vehicle is IFTA-registered, you record the distance traveled in each state or province and pay the appropriate fuel taxes.

Temporary Fuel Permit

This permit is required for freight motor vehicles operated on an occasional or infrequent basis. It may be issued for a maximum of seven consecutive days and is valid only for the vehicle for which it has been issued.

A Fuel Permit is required if your vehicle is traveling out of state and any of these apply:

  • Your vehicle does not have a current IFTA decal assigned and displayed as part of the International Fuel Tax Agreement
  • Your power unit has 3 or more axles regardless of weight if you cross state lines
  • Your tow vehicle and trailer have a combined gross vehicle or registered weight over 26,000 lbs

Temporary Trip Permit

This permit allows interstate travel for commercial motor vehicles that are not registered under the International Registration Plan (IRP). It allows for the movement of a laden truck, truck-tractor, trailer, semitrailer, or a motor bus on the state’s highways.  These permits are available in increments of 72- or 144-hours, One-trip, or 30-days.

Every day ABS is entrusted with the job of transporting other people’s property. We consider it a privilege to help our customers do that as efficiently as possible! Learn more about our services, and how we can save your company valuable time and money.